mardi 30 avril 2019

Fostering Two Chinchillas

Hi,
I'm fostering two chinchillas until a certain court case is over. If the defendant wins (god forbid, he was abusing hundreds of expensive animal breeds), I will be forced to return them. If he loses, however, they will go up for adoption and I am planning on keeping at least one of them.

I'm keeping them in my chinchilla's room with each of their cages about a foot or less apart (it's not a large room). I would keep them in a different room but rules are preventing me from doing that. Everyone is getting playtime as usual, love, food, and toys. My problem is getting them to accept one another. I'm hoping they become friends so they keep each other company while I'm gone. If that never happens it's fine since each has their own cage, but it would benefit them if they all became buddies. The two I'm fostering are more used to each other but have never had free interaction. So far they have never been out at the same time; I only let them see each other through the cage. Whenever one is out, I cover the other two cages with heavy blankets to prevent them from biting each other through the bars. If I don't do this, they'll meet at the bars and sniff noses. It goes fine for five seconds or so until one of them nips or makes a sudden move that frightens the other. One of the fosters leaves the other chinchillas' cages alone, but the other two (mine included) are persistent and attempt moving the blanket out of the way to get to the other. I'm unsure if I'm doing this correctly or not; I'm hesitant to begin bonding before the two fosters are completely used to me and the new environment.

Does anyone have advice on this?
Thanks.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire