jeudi 30 août 2018

Sick chin? Tooth problems?

Hello! I’m Erin and I’m the owner of a 4 year old chin named Samwell. I got him for my 17th birthday (he was a surprise, which most people know isn’t usually the best idea) and I love him very very much but didn’t really know anything about chinchillas when I got him I’ve tried to educate myself but I made some mistakes along the way I’m sure.
My problem that I have now, and the reason why I’m asking in this forum, is that for a while now, Samwell has been seemingly having tooth issues. After some research I’m pretty sure that’s what it is, but he has been (and I’m awful at explaining things so this might not make sense) opening his jaw wide as if he has something stuck in his mouth? And it makes a sort of clicking noise?
He seems to be eating normally (I think, it’s hard to tell because he’s a picky eater and doesn’t eat much to begin with) and he has the same amount of energy as usual, but he’s also been drinking way more water than normal. Like, I try to refill as often as possible but usually he still has water in his bottle after a few days. Over the past few days it’s like I need to refill every other day because he’s drained it dry.
Then there’s the issue of the very smelly pee... which could be because I did change his food recently, and I’m going to go back to the food I used to give him to see if that’s a cause.

Basically I have anxiety and I constantly feel like I’m doing a really bad job of raising him and I have this feeling that he’s sick but I’m probably overreacting... just want to see if anyone else has had these issues? My mom and I have already contacted the nearest vet (an hour away) who deals with “exotic animals” and it seems that an initial checkup and possible tooth filing could cost up to $450, not to mention if there’s something else wrong... figured I would get some tips on here first.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire