vendredi 5 janvier 2018

Chinchilla scratching/biting

Hi all,

I recently posted how I'm a new Chin owner and our whole story - but not sure the post has even gone live yet, but realized I forgot to ask one important question. I've noticed that our little Dash is doing a fair amount of scratching (at least more than I believe normal Chins do - seen videos where no scratching for over 10 min) and biting in areas where scratching. Dash came from a pet store - but one that only houses exotics, bunnies, gerbils, lizards, etc...not cats or dogs. I've read that it is very hard for Chins to get fleas or mites but not impossible.

We have been doing dust baths every couple of days - but only had him a little over a week and bc he was a Christmas present probably went his first week out of the store with no dust bath. I'd say its safe to say he's only had two in the past two weeks, but the store said one a week is fine. I've since read you should do anything from every day to every two days - so there seems to be a wide range of opinion.

My question is: Since he is from a pet store not a breeder, should we bring him into our vet (already found one that treats exotics that we know and trust) and have him checked for mites, fleas and/or any other infections, even though I know that will be stressful to him (we only have the cardboard carrier at this point) OR increase the dust baths to every day for a week and see what happens? Because it is winter here and crazy cold the heat is running a lot. Keeping him in a cooler room with the heat vent closed, but don't know if the scratching is bc of not enough baths or the reverse, dry skin. Or the less common fleas/mites.

Would love any advice or thoughts people can offer?

Also, we bought one of those Kaytee woodland getaway houses for his hidey house and he loves it - sleeps on top of it but seems to be chewing it to pieces. Is this normal? I'm worried if he keeps chewing the top it will become less stable. Is there a better hidey house to get?

I truly appreciate any and all advice - I'm super new at this (always just had cats) but even though we've only had him a short while we consider little Dash a member of the family and want to be sure he's happy and healthy. Thank you.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire