vendredi 3 novembre 2017

Chins Fighting - Neutering to cure aggressive behavior

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site here and need some help before I make a decision to neuter one of my chins. Everyone seems very knowledge so I welcome all opinions and help.

I have two male chins that I rescued from a family that bought them at PetCo before realizing chins don't make good pets for young children (duh). I have had them for almost two years and they lived peacefully in a custom built large cage that is 4ft x 2ft x4ft (LxWxH) with a tube running to another cage that is 3ft x 2ft x 2ft.

Two months ago, I moved across the country and since moving my two chins seem to be fighting more and more often. They are in the same cage as they were before and lived peacefully before the move, only occasionally fighting or chasing each other, but never very often or very serious.

One chin is much larger, named Fatty, and the other chin is much smaller Alfonse. Fatty seems to be the aggressor in most conflicts. Almost daily I am finding small clumps of fur around there cage seemingly from Alfonse.

Today was a tipping point when I noticed dried blood in their cage and a wound on Alfonse's back leg. I am uncertain how the wound came about, but I am afraid Fatty bit Alfonse during a fight. I have since put a divider in their cage and neither seem very happy about it. They sleep each other on the same side of the divider and chew at the block of wood dividing the cage (even though they have PLENTY of other things to chew on).

Fatty has some weird personality traits that make me think he was abused before I took him in. He is terrified of people and often hides when people are near his cage (even after the two years I have had them). Alfonse is much more friendly with people and adventurous. Even though Fatty is larger, it is odd to me that he is becoming more dominant when he is scared of almost everything.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out whether the cause of the fights is the A) stress of being moved (but it has been two months since the move), B) a random change in behavior, or C) caused by maturing and therefore increased aggression.

I think my only hope is to get Fatty neutered but I am afraid this will make him more afraid of people. Does anyone have any advice? I may also consider rehoming Fatty but this would be a last resort. I am in the Denver area.

Thank you so much all.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire