lundi 7 août 2017

Alfalfa after a year old

Hello, our two chinchillas both turned a year old recently. We've been feeding them timothy hay with Mazuri pellets. We would now and then give them some loose alfalfa hay along with the timothy, and we would put a couple alfalfa cubes in, replacing them once they were all eaten (usually a few a week, sometimes less depending on how quickly they ate them).

I sometimes think I maybe played it "too safe" with the alfalfa because of the stories of chinchillas getting stones. I was reluctant to give them TOO much, but maybe I should have given them more, seeing as the more I read about it, the more it seems that chins getting stones can be pretty rare. Our boys have grown, but maybe aren't quite as big as some chins I see, I hope that's not because I was somewhat conservative with alfalfa. I did read somewhere that non-standard colors actually take longer to grow, like up to 18 months? Is this true? Our boys are black velvet and medium ebony.

My main question is, should I continue with this amount of alfalfa (now and then some loose hay, and a couple to a few cubes a week)? Or should I ease off?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire