lundi 16 janvier 2017

Help! Introduction of New Chin- going good or bad?

Hello. I was wondering if this is introduction is going well or not. I please do not want any replies. I am very nervous and I do not want any of my chins to get hurt and I am looking for advice. I have been in the process of introducing for 3 months. I have a female chinchilla Nala who is 2. I have had her for almost 2 years. Someone needed to re home a male chinchilla (Chewbacca , age 2) and I decided to take him in hopes to get Nala a buddy. I work at a Vet clinic and am going to have Chewbacca neutered if they get along. If they don't get along, I do not want to put him through that (unless as a last resort to see if that helps the introduction). I know how fast they can mate- but in this case they have not gotten close.
I quarantined Chewy for the first month then put their cages near each other, slowly putting them together until they are 6inches apart. They don't mind this at all. We will take them out every day and hold them letting them see each other (about 18inches away) for 10 seconds. Then we let one sniff each other butts, then put their butts together to form trust. They both do great with this. They only have an issue if their faces get close enough to where their whiskers touch. We have tried play time in a neutral area three times. Every time is about the same until the last one. Nala will occasionally spray Chewbacca then run away. She also would follow him around calmly and he was okay with that. Once he turned to follow her she started making noises (not a bark) briefly and would spray him and run around like crazy. The second time- same thing. Third time- no spraying but she would start to quickly chase/ run after him and he seemed to get annoyed and had some fur slip. After stopping this on and off twice, we stopped the third time once chewy started to make the annoyed sounds. There was no blood shed. I wasn't sure if this is a sign of it's not going to work, or if we should keep trying.
I do not want to have to get rid of one:/. Any advice would be appreciated!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire