samedi 7 janvier 2017

AC stopped working

I don't think this is necessarily an emergency, because we're in NYC and it's 21 degrees outside and the heater in the bedroom (where the chins are) is off. The AC has been off since around 3 pm and it has stayed a pretty constant 59 degrees. However, I guess I'm concerned if the heat in the apt building (we have no control over the heat other than turning of the radiator in this room) gets so hot that the heat from the other rooms starts making its way through the walls/door to this room.

We have a window unit that we've been running at 62 degrees pretty much 24/7 for the last 2 and a half months. Last night it snowed, there is some snow piled on top of the part of the AC that is sticking out of the window. Around 2 pm or 3 pm I noticed the AC making a motor type clanging noise. I turned it off. It has been a while since we cleaned the filter, so I cleaned it (it was very dirty) and replaced it. I turned it back on, and it came on but was still making the noise, so I turned it off and figured I'd just give the AC a break since we have it running so often (we've only turned it off once before, for a couple days when it was so cooled it was unnecessary). Around 6:45 pm I tried to turn the AC back on. The lights come on, and it makes a kind of hum indicating it has power, and I can change the settings-- but the actual fan will not come on.

Has this happened to anyone else? I understand we used the AC heavily, but we just bought it this past summer. We did not have it running 24/7 until we got the chins, Dusty and Spike, about 2 1/2 months ago. Right now I'm just gonna wait and try again later I guess, and keep an eye on the temp. My roommate has a window unit, and I'm sure I could borrow it if it suddenly gets hot in here, but I would like to salvage this AC if possible. Anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thank you in advance.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire