samedi 9 juin 2018

Introducing a New Chin Concern

Hello! I have a 9 month old Chinchilla named Schneebly and was comfortable with how much attention she was given, so I felt no need to get her a companion. However, a friend of mine is planning to move back home and can’t bring her chin with her even after caring for her no longer than a week. The new chin doesn’t look any older than 4 or so months and is significantly smaller than Schneebly. My friend didn’t give me much of a warning before handing off the younger chin, but I don’t currently have another cage and I’m nervous about housing her with Schneebly so quickly.

I gave them about an hour of playtime together and they seemed indifferent to each other, so I put them together in the same cage and have been watching them for about an hour and a half. They’ve eaten together, but have mainly stayed separate. However, when the younger gets close to Schneebly, Schneebly mounts her or chases her around to do so even if they’re both females. I’ve read that this could be dangerous, but the younger doesn’t run once mounted. Schneebly does sniff around her ear and I thought at first she was biting the younger, but she’s still didn’t try to escape and there’s no fur being pulled out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire