samedi 16 juin 2018

Dental problems with chin and extreme weight loss

I've posted on the forum for help a couple of times (thanks to all who have helped in the past) but wanted to share my story, among the many others, about how quickly things can go wrong.
10 days ago, my chin started heavily grinding up pellets and dropping them all around his bowl. He'd done this in the past so I didn't think much of it, I just assumed it was a boredom thing. He had always stopped doing it so I had decided it wasn't his teeth - what a mistake.
By a couple of days later, it was clear that he was grinding everything up and eating nothing. He had also stopped pooping. I knew that was a bad sign so immediately went to the vet (same day appt) who said it was probably dental, and gave Metacam and a gut motility drug (Ranitidine?) due to the lack of poop. She told me to come back the next day and they would look at the teeth under anesthesia.
That evening I soaked some pellets, and he ate a bit and we had a couple of poops. Progress! When I returned to the vet the next day, I told them the good news (mistake) so they said they would attempt an oral examination without anesthesia, as they did not want to put him under until he was properly eating/pooping again. It was a struggle but the vet said she saw that the back lower molar on one side was growing horizontally towards the tongue and that it was overgrown and needed trimming. However she said they did not want to do it until he was eating/pooping again and that providing he started to eat it could be left untrimmed.
For some reason against my better judgement I decided to follow this advice. I then was sent away for work Mon-Fri, so the chin stayed with a close relative who would feed/keep a close eye/give medication etc. I hoped that since he had started to eat on his own again that I could do the trimming when I got back. Well, I got back yesterday to find that not only has he not eaten/pooped period since I left, he is also not drinking now either. I have managed to get 15ml of Critical Care into him over 9 hours, but he absolutely refuses to voluntarily eat and the force feeding has been a huge struggle - fur slips, biting hard enough to split skin, etc. I weighed him and he has dropped from ~850g to 520g. I have managed to scrape an appointment on Monday for the teeth trimming and x-ray and he will be staying in all day so I hope they give some fluids etc then.

At the moment I don't really know what the outcome will be, I have tried searching threads but honestly cannot wrap my head around chin dental anatomy at all and have tried every method in the book with the force feeding - burrito, flavouring it up with purees etc and it has not worked. Why is the tooth growing horizontally? Does that mean it is likely the root is elongated as well or is the tooth simply misplaced? I have already come to the decision that if the roots show as being elongated that I will have to PTS.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire