dimanche 31 mai 2015

Hello From Utah!

My name is Kenzie and I'm from Utah! :) I have two adorable chinchillas--Thor and Luna. I've had both of them for over a year. I got Thor from a family friend, and Luna a few months later from an actual breeder. I believe I used to have an account on here...but couldn't figure out what password I used if I did :wacko:

Luna is pregnant (I wasn't sure until I felt babies kicking about a week ago). She had triplets at the beginning of October. As a disclaimer, Thor and Luna are NOT usually housed together. It was never a plan to house them together, and they were never formally introduced to one another. I don't want chinchilla babies.... Both times she has gotten pregnant has been when my sister was watching them for me and put them together because "they looked lonely". :banghead: I'm just glad they didn't tear each other to pieces when she put them together. Long story short she is no longer allowed to watch them while I am gone or at work.

Even though she's already had some babies, I am on here looking to refresh myself on signs of labor and care for babies after (just in case).

I am considering just having Thor neutered after this. I am just concerned because I have heard that they don't do so well with surgeries and anesthesia. Does anyone have any recommendations for vets to do this (since I am toying with the idea)? The vet that I've taken Thor to once was an absolutely horrible experience. The exotics vet has a parter who specializes in horses and THAT was who I saw. She didn't even look him over, just looked at his feces and determined that he needed a dewormer. I ended up not even giving him the medication and keeping him on a strict Timothy hay diet and his symptoms cleared up right away!

I am more seriously considering keeping the babies (and hoping there is a male and a female that I can house two males and two females together). How well do chinchillas bond with their offspring? Obviously I'll need to have another cage just in case....

Thank you in advance for any input!

I am going to attempt to upload some photos. The ones of Thor are from months ago...he is the standard grey. The ones of Luna were taken earlier this morning, she is very large!

Attachment 22047

Attachment 22048

Attachment 22049

Attachment 22050

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thor.jpg (84.5 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_3808.jpg (85.3 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_6319.jpg (82.0 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_6332.jpg (93.6 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire