jeudi 2 juillet 2015

Grieving Chinchilla

Hello, I am hoping someone could give me some advice.

I had to have one of my girls, Miyuki, put to sleep on Monday, diagnosed with malo a week before. I'm pretty heartbroken, and so is her sister Zelda (same litter so together since birth). They are (and were) 3.5 years old. Zelda has also been x-rayed and had a general check up and she is apparently in perfect health. Of course I will be monitoring her closely for any teeth issues.

Anyway, Zelda has barely eaten since Monday, and doesn't seem to have had much to drink either. She is still pooping but they are generally quite small. She will eat lifeline and I've tried sprinkling that and a bit of rosehip powder on her pellets but it doesn't seem to have worked. I also give her one crush rosehip piece a day and she eats those too. Her hay was untouched on Tuesday but yesterday it was a little messier but I couldn't tell if she had really eaten any of it. I've been spending as much time with her as I can, and at playtime she's her usual bouncy self, always scheming new escape plans, but I'm super worried about her. About two weeks ago she was around 880g, the last couple of evenings I've weighed her, she's been 848g. I am now weighing her every evening, though it's obvious that if she's not eating, she's probably going to lose a bit of weight.

Is this sadness something that will subside? Is there anything else I should be doing? Shall I now start syringe handfeeding? I have lots of Lifeline (I have tried to give her Lifeline on a spoon, but she wasn't having any of it). I have started (today) to weigh her food so I will get a clearer idea of what she is actually eating.

Thanks very much.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire